The Springer Mound Monsters
From Tatters of the King
Two large winged creatures circling endlessly above Springer Mound near Clare Melford. One of these creatures attacked and killed Harold Jennings after he discharged a shotgun into one of the nine obelisks hidden on his land. It also hunted down and killed both of his dogs and the unfortunate local constable from Long Melford. The creature was seen clearly by Andrew Saunders as he witnessed its attack on Harold Jennings and less clearly by Nathaniel Browne, but attacked neither of them. As far as anyone knows, the creatures are still there. Saunders managed to convince the police that the attacks were the work of Jennings' dogs who eventually killed the first policeman who accompanied Saunders back to the farm, and then each other .
Saunders described the creature as a man-sized insectoid horror with a head like a horse's skull. It had sharp claws on all four limbs, great leathery wings and dead grey eyes.
When the investiagtors returned to Springer Mound in early December 1928 the creatures had gone, along with the obelisks which they had apparently been guarding. The obelisks later turned up in Scotland.
In Carcosa it was discovered that these creatures are called byakhee and are the servants of Hastur. Hundreds of the creatures were summoned to Carcosa, where they clustered on the roof of the palace, watching the play performed by Edwards and his followers.
According to Dr. Bartlett's dream, when Carcosa left the Earth the byakhee all flew into Hastur's enormous eyes.